expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 13 February 2017

DHUKU FRIDAY


In dream land, I have the perfect set of hair on my head. getting up from bed and getting ready for work would be so easy, lemon squeezy ! You see the logic I have the previous night is that my hair will magically transform and be easy to deal with, what a joke, a real big joke at that.



Now do not get me wrong, I love the hair that grows out of this head of mine, never mind its shape whats important after all is the content of the head. Back to the story line, so its 6:30 am and my alarm is buzzing like its the end of the world, sleep has long left my eyes but questions as to whether I actually need this job or not keep buzzing in my head.

I drag myself out of bed, and start prepping for work. Now after all is said and done, I have bathed, I am clothed, then by the Grace of God i catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realize my hair is not done, note that I am already running late and the idea of combing let alone styling this hair of mine is a non starter. So onto to the next great big idea, Dhuku/chitambala/turban/headwrap time.

The Dhuku not only saves time, but best believe if well done adds some actual pizzazz to ones outfit and personal style. In this look my choice of Dhuku was a dark blue thrifted scarf I got a few years from Soweto market. It has some good amount of stretch to it, which made it easier to work with.



Makeup was a toned down smokey eye, and nothing too loud deliberately as I wanted the Dhuku to be the main focal point of my face and outfit in general . Even though not in full view:

1. Turban : Thrifted/Second hand/Salaula
2. White Blouse : Thrifted/Second hand/Salaula
3. Blazer : Thrifted/Second hand/Salaula


MAKES FOR AN INTERESTING READ

During the period of enslavement, whites enacted codes that legally required black women to cover their heads with cloth wrappings, but these codes do not explain three other functions for the headwrap devised by the African Americans themselves. One purpose was purely practical: the cloth covered their hair when there was lack of time to prepare it for public view, the material absorbed perspiration and kept the hair free of grime during agricultural tasks, and the headwrap offered some protection against lice. Two additional functions-fashion and symbol-often overlapped. Within the African communities, the headwrap denoted sex, marital status, and the sexuality of the wearer. Source



No comments: